Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Can Feel It In The Air

Today was overcast and cloudy with heavy thunder storms this morning. There was a huge crack of thunder that shook my house. The dogs bound to their feet to bark at the maddening noise that stirred them from their deep slumber. As I left to drive to work, I pulled off to the shoulder as I met three volunteer fire trucks heading in the opposite direction. Never imagining where they were going.


It would not be until later that afternoon that I would find out where they were headed. Evidently, the thunder struck a salt water disposal tank and it burned down to the ground. Where we live in east Texas, there are oil tanks, tank batteries, and pumping jacks in every direction you turn not to mention natural gas pipelines. It is apparent that oil and gas reigns here as my husband's job is dependant upon it.


This place we call home now has so many good people. But yesterday, there was a man that was served divorce papers by his wife. He took her off to an oil well lease with the intentions of killing her. Some how by the grace of God, she did escape, but he was shooting at her as she was running away. Luckily, someone stopped their car and helped her get away. Their daughter attends high school and they locked the school down because he had threatened to kill her as well. The wife is in the hospital with a bullet to her arm. The husband went back to the oil well lease and took his life. This is not the usual in this small town. My husband's boss called him to check on the situation and people were sent to the oil lease.

I guess you can see why I don't always blog. You can not escape crime even in a small town of 2600 people. The next largest town is Shreveport, La. and I have stopped watching the news because of all of the crime. A police officer told me that Shreveport is safer now than twenty-six years ago. Gee, that makes me feel better. It seems that the news channels are right on any crime or murder because it keeps people watching the news. What happened to the good news? When someone saved an elderly woman's life or something positive happened? Times are so different now. Are people indifferent to all of this crime? Does crime affect your town?


On a brighter note I noticed today some signs of change. While sitting outside on my deck this afternoon, I can feel that soon Autumn will come soon. The sun shines softer as it shimmers through the leaves of the trees. If you look close enough, you can see the gradual turning of the leaves. It is so subtle that you could miss it. It begins with the saffaras trees. Their leaves turn first in the season from bright yellow to orange then red. It is like a beautiful symphany of sounds and colors that twirl in a soft gentle circular downward spiral. On a single whirl of the wind they fall purposely and very slowly in a long circling motion to the ground. It is awe inspiring to witness something so simple yet so powerful.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and Labor Day Holiday.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crime certainly doesn't discriminate does it? What a sad tale. At least you can feel Autumn...that's excellent. Have a great weekend my friend and a Happy Labor Day :)

Akelamalu said...

I know what you mean, there never seems to be any good news, it's all bad here too. :(

Finding Pam said...

Thom, I was overcome with sadness so it dominated my post. I hope you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

Finding Pam said...

Akelamula, did you read my reply to you about Homecoming?

I am going to stop watching the news. It is too depressing.
Big HUGS!

Sandee said...

I'm glad the wife and daughter survived. Neither has to worry about him anymore. What a shame.

As for crime. In our area it's the Mexican gangs. They are killing each other (that's okay by me), and they are killing innocents since they can't shoot very well. It's an epidemic here. Awful.

Have a terrific day and weekend honey. Big hug. :)

larkswing said...

Sorry about the sad news in your neck of the woods. It really is sad ...

Fall is awesome! It is my favorite time of the year - I like spring too, but there is just something about the changes of fall that fill me with the joy and excitement of a kid!

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

I'm not sure, but I believe I live in one of the largest crime areas in the country, which is Baton Rouge Louisiana, about eighty miles north of New Orleans.

And it gets me down quite a bit too, but the fact that you were able to look past the horror of bad news, and write such glorious prose about Autumn's arrival says you have the power to turn your feelings and the feelings of others around during difficult times.

That's a great gift. I stopped to thank you for taking the time to time to stop and leave a comment about the You Cheer Me Up Award, and for linking to my blog.

And to tell you that I certainly plan on returning the favor.

Great blog, and post,

And you have a happy Labor Day too. And thanks for helping me smell the upcoming Autumn air.

You've made my day today.

Annie

A Nice Place In The Sun

Finding Pam said...

Annie, I do believe that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said in a comment.

You have a beautiful way with words. Thank you for stopping by.

We are from Louisiana,too. I look forward to getting to know you and your blog.

I am sad to know that Baton Rouge is so crime filled. I am not sure if there is more crime, or maybe we are hearing about it via the news. Stay safe and strong.

Chickie said...

It's extra upsetting when things happen in our own backyards. Since I've lived in this town, there's been a 6 person murder 3 houses down and a murder 2 blocks away.

I hide in the house now if I notice helicopters are circling around.

Hope you have a fine holiday weekend!