Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sugar Free

Things have been going well with my chiropractic care for my knee and back. I am reflecting on my care and and what else I need to do to enhance my health. Little baby steps usually works best, but that's not how I operate. I am all or nothing. Hence, the need to select just one thing at a time to give up to improve my health.

I gave up Dr. Pepper and sugar. I have to tell you that was really difficult and I don't want to ever have to do that again. Then, I decided to give up all refined carbs like bread, rice, pizza, all the bad food groups that I love, but they don't love me. I call them my comfort foods.

I am shopping the perimeter of the grocery store because that is where the healthy foods are located. I am buying lots of fruits, veggies, nothing processed and cooking from scratch. Giving up bread was really tough.

I see the vicious cycle of sugar and the havoc that it reeks on my body. I am choosing not to indulge in the bad foods. I gotta tell you it is not easy. Each time I choose not to indulge it reinforces my desire to eat better for my health's sake.

I usually keep loosing the same five pounds over and over only to gain two pounds then loose three. It is an endless cycle. I am finding I am doing better than I thought. In all other areas of my life I have discipline, except food. During a therapy session, I came to the realization of when food became my comforter. I was around eight. It involves some intense moments that are difficult to tell you about. But at that moment, food became my tranquilizer. It was an "A HA" moment. Now that I know when it started, I am aware of it and consciously choose better.

Little baby steps one by one...

I was not overweight as a kid. In fact at 15 years old, I weighed 115 lbs. and my mother told me I was fat. Let's see 5'1'' and 115 lbs. I would not call me fat, but that is the kind of stuff my mother told me over and over. Why did I choose to believe her?

I started my first diet at 15 years of age. The grapefruit diet. Thankfully, I was not a binge eater nor did I hide my food. I used it to comfort me. I have tried every diet in the universe that I have yoyo'd my way to my state of fatness. The RA meds did not help. In fact I gained 50 pounds from the medicine. Two years after my last treatment I am finally ready to get it off.

I will say that I am learning a lot about myself and my actions in therapy. Replacing good actions for the bad ones. My choice, not my mother's choice. The damages my mother did to me were so intense. She exposed us to a lot of horrible stuff. I am determind to be healthy emotionally, mentally, and physically.

8 comments:

Sandee said...

Life is full of choices. Food is just one of those choices. I can so relate to this post. I'm not overly heavy, but need to lose about 10 pounds. It's very difficult.

You are doing a great job. Good for you. I try to stay out of the center of the stores too.

Have a terrific day Pam. Big hug. :)

DeEtta said...

I am proud of your choice to eat healthy. You will also find your weight go down. My sister has been doing the same as you and she is looking good. Wish I had that much will power.

You go girl and get healthy. If you have good health you are happier and enjoy life more. Anyway, that has been my experience.

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

Akelamalu said...

I had to change my diet when I was diagnosed with diabetes in February and have lost 13lb already. Like you I've tried every diet known to womankind, none of which worked. Eating healthily is working. :)

Finding Pam said...

Thanks Sandee for the comment. The last ten pounds can be as hard as fifty pounds to loose or maybe even harder.


Thanks DeEtta. You are blessed to have a trim figure. I am approaching it in a new perspective. Keep me in your prayers.

Akelamula, I did not know that you had been diagnoised with diabetes. That is probably where I am headed if I don't lose this weight.

Unspoken said...

Yup, our parents only get to be blamed for so long. Then it's on us.

Rambling Woods said...

I need to do what you are doing. I would probably feel a bit better.... good luck Pam....Michelle

Mouse said...

Oh wow!!!! Well done Pam. Giving up sugar ...... that sounds like the stuff of horror movies for me. I know it makes sense, but I just can't do it yet!

Travis Cody said...

It's a great plan. Changing habits is tough. But you put the most difficult step behind you already...that's deciding to make changes because it's what you want to do.

Keep it up. I think taking small steps and adjusting is always the best way to make a break with something you don't like and to move toward something you do.